Friday, June 29, 2007

The Need to Quantify


...


...


...


...


I think grades are hilarious. Every time I receive a quiz, test, or paper back my heart rate goes up just a little and I get some chills. Not because I like grades (or definitely not because I make straight a's - haven't since 4th grade), it is because my life, efforts, and thoughts have become quantifiable in a precise manner (relative to the professor).

I know a lot of people are sort of addicted to school and learning, and I know a lot of people associate school with Hell. I think one of the reasons is that we do work (which is not, in and of itself, unique) and then someone grades it.

At work we are (hopefully!) reviewed. We may be reprimanded, given a pat on the back, given a raise, given a demotion, given some kind of ultimatum, etc. Generally though ,it is somewhat abstract and we can come up with reasons (we do this in school too) why things worked out the way they did.

One of the things that separates school is the forgettableness of it. My COmputer is currently telling me that that is not a word... FYI. We get our grade, it makes us happier, sadder, more frustrated, and then we move on (unless we have to take the class again). I just think it is interesting.

I recently turned 30 and am in school again for the first time since December of 2000 (when I graduated from college). It is harder and easier, I'm better and worse at it, I care less and more (all of these comparisons could be explored in a different - less abstract blog), and it seems funny to me how I react to a quiz when I get it back.

8 comments:

Matt Blazer said...

And, I'm still working on publishing that last podcast. I have a Monday time frame for talking with Mac people about it...

annie said...

It's funny to me that you often refer to something that could be discussed in another blog, and I'm always curious what you would say, but the other blog never comes.

One of the nice thing about grades is that there a definite ending point to the striving. Perhaps, it's what you refer to the forgettableness of it, but it seems like often, once the grade is received, good or bad, it's done. You know it or you don't. If you didn't get the result you wanted, there are usually clear steps to correction. Much more harsh than life, but also much more simple.

Matt Blazer said...

IS it really more harsh than life? Seems much less personal than other kinds of criticism...

annie said...

I suppose that's why I was thinking that it was harsh. Constructive, personal criticism takes you into account. It doesn't just judge your standing, but also your heart. Grades don't care who you are or where you're from or what you've overcome to get here. They are just a universal metric. They can be brutal because you may never stack up despite any effort, and comforting because they lack the subjectivity and fickleness that often makes us self-concious in outside world.

I'll make it specific. What defines a friendship? Is it some declaration, the amount of time spent together, the investment of emotion? I have never really understood what makes a friendship, so I spend a good amount of time feeling uneasy and wondering where I stand with people. However, there are one or two people who know what a struggle it is, and love me in spite of my being a terrible friend. But, if I get a C, I'm average. It doesn't matter how hard I worked for it, or the fact that I brought that grade up from nothing by the sweat of my brow, or what obstacles I have overcome. It's just a C. Simple, yet brutal, but I know exactly where I stand.

Matt Blazer said...

podcast successfully uploaded... wasn't working from our pirated weak connection. works from a real one... mystery listener...

Anonymous said...

In response to your most recent podcast and if people listen...I always listen and enjoy them. I wish you would consider doing them more often but I understand that life gets away from us sometimes. Also, I’ve recommended it to people but whether or not they listen I’m not sure. Thanks again.

Matt Blazer said...

Just updated it...

Matt Blazer said...

I just did the "Forgiveness" one. Hope whoever you are enjoy it!