Sunday, October 14, 2007

Alexei Fyodorovitch


...


...


...


...


I love the idea of books. Sometimes I also love books. I wrote my Senior Thesis on the Brothers Karamozov (even though I did not finish it for months). I think I received a "c" on the paper.

Now, I'm reading it with a group of guys and enjoying it even more.

As I have said before, it often seems as though everyone around me is drowning, and sometimes it seems like the water threatens me also. Alyosha, (the youngest of the brothers proper, second youngest really) is having a similar day - his brothers are scheming or scoundreling, his mentor lays dying in the same room, his father a reprobate, and a random crippled woman from his childhood has just professed her undying love for him.

These are Dostoyevshy's words as Alyosha lays down in his cell at the monastery, "He slowly replaced the note in the envelope, crossed himself and lay down. The agitation in his heart passed at once. "God have mercy upon all of them, have all these unhappy and turbulent souls in Thy keeping, and set them in the right path. All ways are Thine. Save them according to Thy wisdom. Thou art love. Thou wilt send joy to all!" Alyosha murmured, crossing himself, and falling into peaceful sleep."

I prayed this prayer last night, and will likely pray it again...

12 comments:

annie said...

Nothing sagacious to add. I just like this one.

Anonymous said...

Hey, do you have room for any more Matts in your group of readers? Lybee is reading it and he really wanted someone to discuss it with, but I've never read it before...

Matt Blazer said...

At Book Club? Heck yea... I will talk with him about it...

MWeb said...

good book.

Anonymous said...

so, explain to me why the link to "Fabbio the Bear," whose blog I only ever had read when I've clicked on it from your link, takes me to online dating services?

Matt Blazer said...

I cannot explain. BUT, I will delete the link. Thanks E-Train...

Nom de plume said...

I gotcher back...

Lance and Heather said...

Hello, we are friends with Jessica and we’ve started a new website (www.popularbabyproducts.com). Check it out. If you like it, we would love for you to post it as a permanent link on your blog so that others can view it as well. Thanks so much, Lance and Heather

Lance and Heather said...

Blazer- I just realized this is you. Glad to hear things are going well! Lance

Nom de plume said...

let's get some more deep thoughts going over here.

Anonymous said...

I agree! Or how about a podcast...it has been quite awhile. Thanks.

annie said...

I want to know if you think Miller caught that he totally bashed the formula for writing "Christian non-fiction" and then followed the formula in chapter 2. That made me laugh.