Thursday, February 09, 2006

How Evangelical???

How important is it to be Evangelical? How Evangelical should we be? How Evangelical Are you? As I grow up, as I read Donald Miller, as I become more and more frustrated by the Gospel of Sin Management I sense a growing awareness of my Evangelical Roots. I am Reformed also... Doesn't that simply mean I have a big picture of the sovereignty of God? John Piper writes (after being picked up by a truck driver) that being Reformed frees him to share the Gospel and to not worry about his role after that. Linz, Fabbs, Elisa, Poshiggity, Cary Murphy, Webel, Katie Adams, any and all readers... How Evangelical is too Evangelical? How Lack-o-Evangelical is missing out on he Great Commission? Do not-so-Evangelicals have more ground to stand on in the real world? Will James Dobson ex-communicate me from Colorado Springs if I choose to talk about the gospel when it is obvious I could crack down on someone for living in sin? I really wonder... I want to keep writing, but I think I'm diverging from my original question. Where are you on the Evangelical Continuum? How do you perceive the Super-Evangelicals? Where does God's Sovereignty come into play or not come into play??? Am I a heretic for asking these questions?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, I think you need to define Evangelical. That way, we can all be on the same page. Then, you need to say whether "super-evangelical" means fundamentalist. Then maybe I will think of contributing something other than jellyfish-up-your-butt stories.

Matt Blazer said...

Evangelical: oriented strongly towards the salvation of others.

Super-Evangelical: not fundamentalist necessarily, but their evangelicalism tends to outweigh other aspects of their character/spirituality.

Nom de plume said...

oh. i'll have to think about it some. see my blog? i've been stewing about other topics.

Nom de plume said...

So then why would Dobson excommunicate you? Is he not evangelical???

Anonymous said...

I think your next post should be a poll of last night's discussion question, that way I can shock everyone by suggesting you get your wife a stripper for her first child's birthday. And also because maybe you'll get some good suggestions... better than my apparently bad one anyway...

Anonymous said...

Being evangelical means you have to invest in people - drive-by-gospel-readings seem so against God's Will to me. I think the question is, how do you spread the love of God to those you're already invested in? As I get more involved in Young Life, I don't see telling my girls about Jesus as something hard, as that's what I'm supposed to do in that role. But as simply me, relating to my ordinary-every-day friends, I tend to just ignore that part of the Bible, because it's too dangerous and too hard. I know what I'm supposed to do, but that doesn't mean I do it. So those are my thoughts.

Linz said...

Ok Blazer... here I am. I've tried to reply to this numerous times and give up everytime. I cannot answer this question. Except to say that I am strongly oriented to people knowing of my love of diet black cherry vanilla coke. I'm not as quick to want others to experience the pain of having your character refined. Even though it is joyous.

If the ivory tower still stands... let the Orin guide us....(If you know that movie, I'll flip out)