Thursday, May 10, 2007

The End of an Era




...

...

...

So, an older gentleman turned pretty quickly over a single white line and hit my front wheel of my motorcycle about two and a half weeks ago. Yes, I'm fine. Bike? Not so fine... State Farm called yesterday and said they would pay me 3400 for the bike (more than I paid, don't tell), or 2400 and I get to keep it - then i would have a salvaged title.

I was already planning on getting rid of it, but taking off the license plates and knowing I will never ride (at least this one) again was hard. I think a lot of it is the little kid in me (little boy might be more appropriate) who is sad that he is losing a toy. I think there is some entitlement (as though my bank account won't love the money - which will go straight to school loans!) in there... And, I will miss it. IN the final few weeks I had taken to riding with my visor open to feel the wind. I had found several back roads where I felt alone. I was unable to talk on the cell phone or listen to sports or NPR - very relaxing.

There are many reasons I felt very good (till yesterday) about getting rid of it. But the cathartic nature of this particular blog is not to debate but to mourn. Good bye to my bike... basic, fun, dangerous, often-not-seen by elder men, a pain to maintain and even to ride (takes longer to get places because wifey doesn't like me on the high way), but a motorcycle nonetheless. If I ever see John Eldredge again I will ask if he is disappointed in me...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am proud of you for getting rid of it. You know my point of view on safety given our recent events.

Love your girls like this is the last time you will see them for at least a month. It just might be.

Unknown said...

And what if tomorrow doesn't happen? It didn't TODAY!

-Phil

annie said...

I think you should get a dirt bike. Somehow, when you're on a dirt road, it always feels like you're going faster than you really are. Don't tell Rachel I said that. :)

poshiggity said...

I found a Fiat Spyder that I really want. It's grey and a stick shift and driving it in the mountains would make me come alive, in theory atleast. But I can't afford it. So I'm looking at a bike, too. Part of my dream is my desire to not get hosed by the gas prices, but we both know that won't solve anything. Will I really use it to find renewal, or will it take up space in my garage? When does your heart take over your sense of stewardship and healthy money choices? And how do you make a decision that is rooted in your heart in Jesus that will only look like splurging to older church members..:) (though I already know your answer to it)

annie said...

Since I'm heading out of town soon, this is your friendly reminder to read and ask, if you so desire.

Nom de plume said...

aw, blaze, I'm sorry. It IS the end of an era.

We must do some cigars. My lungs are far too healthy right now.