Saturday, March 17, 2007

Fear and Vacations

So, here is my daughter after her first cupcake...

I remember the day I wrote my last blog very clearly, even though we are one day shy of a month removed.

Life is tricky and weird and goofy, and some days I want no part of it. By 'it', I simply mean the difficulty of being near so many people and them being near me. I suppose many have the opposite problem with life: not enough people, connection, or whatever in their life... Ahhhhh the human condition in all it's dualistic splendor!

Sunday (the 18th) is Caroline's Brithday, but we celebrated today (Saturday) because of our vacation schedule - and because Sundays are terrible for the naps.

As you can see, she enjoyed demolishing her cupcake (You should've seen the cupcakes... mom out-did herself). The latest numbers have it that 40-68% of said cupcake was in fact consumed by Caroline. The rest was scattered to the wind, the bath she entered directly following the cupcake, her carefully-smocked dress, and to Ron (our dog).

If you have a Spring Break enjoy it, if you don't make sure you do nothing for some ofthe weekend - that pesky 4th commandment and all...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

gosh, I haven't visited this blog in so long. Finally doped out that this must be the blog you meant when telling me to subscribe. Don't really know how to subscribe to this blog.

It was good seeing you too, blaze. I forgot how tall you are. That seems like such a dumb thing to be struck by, doesn't it? But it felt kind of like the same "knock the wind out of me" that I felt the first time I saw Caroline and realized I'd never be part of her life. She DOES look like you, Bailey was right! What a sweet little kid. I loved seeing you guys and catching up. Man, it's been awhile since I've seen yall "in the flesh" so to speak.

I'm counting on you for that cigar you promised me. Does Rachel like cigars? Somehow, I can't quite see her getting into the spirit of it if we tried to catch up over stogies.

Well, I'm off to turn down my one and only job offer... can't believe I'm doing this, but what the hell...

Anonymous said...

PS. I still resent being kicked off the list of friends' web pages, just because I switched over to myspace to control who views my blog. just go ahead and add me right back on there. Do it if you're cool. www.myspace.com/coffeespoon

Bailey Mohr said...

I loved those cupcakes, and seeing Caroline eat her cupcake. I'll send you the pictures off my camera soon!

Nate Lindaman said...

Your comment on wanting no part of "it" reminded me of a quote by Sidonie Gabrielle Colette, whose written books that I haven't read, but her quotes intrigue me:
"There are days when solitude is a heady wine that intoxicates you with freedom, others when it is a bitter tonic, and still others when it is a poison that makes you beat your head against the wall."