Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Why I shouldn't write about Death

Because it has been too close all year.

Because I don't know that I have much to say.

What is more scary to me is that so many have so much less to say. I went to a funeral - three weeks ago - at a relatively liberal church in my community. They were unwilling to say anything... Or maybe they had nothing to say. Maybe they were so busy deconstructing the Bible they forgot to see if it had anything to say - I don't know. I just know that at the funeral they had nothing to say. Luckily my friend's sister had good things to say.

I suppose my main message, from what I can tell about Jesus and the story he is telling is, "This is not the way it is supposed to be..." Seems like Jesus did a lot less comforting with the idea of Heaven than we (evangelicals... showing my cards: I am an evangelical) often do. Seems like he was moved by death, and he needed to provide a more powerful - yeah, material - redemption.

2 other things (I could expand the above one for pages... But I won't).

Why do we want knowledge? Is knowledge power, or is it just more knowledge? Or, is it a distraction to the grief process?

One of my friends died a few weeks ago and we do not know why. I think last year I would have wanted to know (she was in her 20's). I do not care as much now. I wish I knew her better. I was greatly appreciative of the stories told at the funeral - and of the space provided by the men presiding over the service to grieve, to enjoy, to think and pray (not the liberal, local church - this was actually a collaborative effort). I do not think knowledge is always power.

I was going to write about Hell, and how I am glad that the picture of God in the Bible punishes sin... But, I'm not sure I can muster the energy to do it any justice (pun not intended). Somehow, in my heart, these areas are all very tied.

2 comments:

Jane-Ellis Griggs said...

As a mother of child with a birth defect and other anomolies, I agree that knowledge isn't always power. Robbie and I have not had a desire to know why Peter is deaf. It doesn't change anything. While I am thankful for his earthy healing through his implants, my hope rests in Jesus return--when God perfects Peter's body (and ours) and we are able to hear sounds more beautiful than we can imagine. . . . Holy, Holy, Holy . .

Nom de plume said...

I should probably get my own link on your blog since we've been friends four years now. At least.