Monday, February 16, 2009

90 Blogs later




And I am still not positive what the purpose of a blog is.

I know this one is a random thought blog (because I twitched when the job ge by the guy at school said, "if you have a random thoughts blog...  shut it down while you're looking for a job).

I know i like to put up pictures of my daughters.  

I know I sometimes like to try to be provocative, by saying things like "I voted for Obama" or "I think Abortion is a gigantic distraction to evangelicalism".   Both of those things are true by the way.

I don't label much.  (down at the bottom)  

Here is a question...  I get to preach in April.  I am thinking of a couple of possibilities and would love your thoughts.  1.  "Margin" - How do you feel knowing the Bible takes your questions and often answers other ones oftentimes?  This would be about the Bible and our questions essentially.  2.  "Why be good?"  My short answer would be mission.  In my 31 years of experience I don't think many Christians get why to be good, and many who are watching churches (insert your word, "non-religious, religious, irreligious, atheist, seeker, agnostic, etc.) tend to perceive that Christianity is big on rules and be annoyed by it.  3.  What about giving people two Sundays where they could write their questions on index cards and then I could take like the top four (having no idea how I would determine that...  especially without being deterministic)?  

Thoughts?  

The great thing is that I stopped reading for school about 15 minutes ago because I was tired...  I was reading a 60 year old article about Natural Law by a professor who is trying REALLY hard to be relevant.  I couldn't focus...  till i started blogging about...  NOTHING.  Hilarious.  I really would appreciate your thoughts though!

7 comments:

rachel blazer said...

do i get to be provocative, too? i'm not sure you can do #1 or #2 in one sermon (and still keep the nursery coordinator happy). : ) does that sound like i'm taking it away from you? i'm not.

annie said...

I really like #2. Actually, I like them all, but I've talked to you more about #1. #3 would be interesting, and you could do the questions that were repeated the most. Or, just the ones you like the best. You could use the blog to talk about additional questions, if you wanted to. But, I feel like #2 is one that isn't addressed much.

Kirsten McKeown said...

I really like #1, because I think you would be a good person to preach on that topic, plus it is a great question that is not discussed very often.

Anonymous said...

I'd go with either #2 or #3.

Your sense on #2 (Christians not knowing why to be good) is really really huge. Sometimes holiness gets chucked out the window for (merely) grace.

#3 would be awesome just from the standpoint of being able to hear what questions are being asked. That's the kind of thing that excites me (and I know it does you as well).

If I had to pick, I'd say #2. That's not something anyone is going to pick if you did #3, and likely something they (we) wouldn't want to hear... all the more reason to say it.

Anonymous said...

1. I don't think the Bible answers questions well...I think it just gives you vague antidotes and confuses you more in order to make you think. The Bible frustrates me – it is not simple and people who throw out Bible verses as answers to tough questions should be bitch slapped.
2. I don’t like any description of people as “good” or advice to “be good.” What is “good?” How do you be “good” and should you even try to achieve “good.” Good is a description of food or your day not your heart or character. I don’t know what to think when people say, “She is a really good person,” most of the time I am like “what the Hell does that mean?” – she is nice to old people and stray dogs????
3. I would have people fill out questions – and I would not even do a topical sermon on one of those questions. What I would do, if I were you (or if girls could preach), would be to read as many questions in front of the church that you feel are relevant and talk about them. Maybe they will have a common theme – maybe it will be that it is okay to ask questions. Maybe it will be provocative because people will actually be real….or maybe not. Just an idea…

Hannah

Anonymous said...

I just read my comment - and I sound angry and feminist - I am not - and I did not mean to shoot down your ideas.

You are great - your ideas are good!!

rachel blazer said...

I just read it and do not think you sound angry and feminist. I think you sound live a recovering Evangelical. And one who desires truth, but is sometimes cared of its packaging, or bothered by the way it was given earlier, or something... (this is Matt writing)