Thursday, February 05, 2009

Stuff Christians Like







Hannah Wood turned me on to this blog. It is unbelievably accurate towards the strange subculture of evangelicalism. AND, I just learned that Jon went to college with my wife. Hilarious.

Here is a brief sampling, a bullet-point of a fictional interview with that guy that interviews movie stars... It is about people criticizing the Sermon at lunch.

1. I'm just not being fed.
What a fantastic way to look as if you're more spiritual than the pastor himself.

2. That message was not meant for me.
You are so generous to have sat there patiently while someone else that needed that sermon was able to receive it. What kindness.

3. That didn't feel like church.
What a perfect smokescreen of vagueness. How can anyone argue with your feeling? What does that even mean? More organ? Less organ? Better lasers? No lasers?

4. There wasn't enough Bible in that for me. That felt like a business leadership book.
What's enough? No one knows, which is why this is such a gem.

5. I'm not sure that sermon works in a postmodern world.
I'm not even sure I know what the word "postmodern" means, but it's fun to say. Few things make you look smarter than repeating this word. Repeatedly.

5 comments:

annie said...

Out of its self-deprecating context, it sounds flippantly bitter.

Matt Blazer said...

Agreed... but very precise.

Dan Allen said...

Where is the blog at? I didn't see a link to it in your post. I like the shirt though....I'm sure it's coming to a wet t-shirt contest near me.

Bailey Mohr said...

Loves it! Have you seen the blog, something about "What white people like" lt is also hilarious and true!

Nom de plume said...

so true! Totally agree...