Sunday, April 26, 2009

Monday, May 4th


So, Rachel and I came to a decision regarding my treatment. We have decided to have the surgery: Retro-Peritoneal Lymph Node Dissection on Monday (8 days, not tomorrow).

We came to the decision for a couple of reasons: one, it gives us a chance of no Chemo; two, they can biopsy the lymph nodes while I am "sleeping" and potentially look for more (Chemo simply shrinks, taking away diagnosis and the potential to know that the cancer is already gone); and three, the long-term effects of surgery are less than Chemo.

The surgery is laparoscopic, which means they don't but me open, there will be just 3 incisions and they will all be small circles. This is good for recovery time. Mom is coming into town to help, and we expect my recovery to be similar to the other one (really just a few days of pain, and about two weeks before I can do almost everything).

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, emails and phone calls. We have had so many ask how they can help. We will let you know - I promise!

I posted this pic because Caroline is eating frosting and sprinkles, and after my surgery I will have to observe a Medium-Triglyceride Diet (which means, not high fat stuff I think). No big deal.

2 comments:

Dan Allen said...

You are a very good writer (I've read your most recent posts and have been very impressed)...you will be in the prayers of your entire church family.

carrie eggart said...

We love you Matt! Much love and prayers for the surgery this morning. You are such an amazing person/pirate uncle:-). Yes, Miles tells the children that a crocadile ate your thumb off and your a pirate! xoxo, Carrie